- Of Counsel, Robinson & McElwee, 1997-2005, 2009-present
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1983-1996
- Former Manager, Robinson & McElwee
- Partner, Love, Wise, Robinson & Woodroe, 1976-1983
- Partner, James, Wise, Robinson & Magnuson, 1969-1976
- Partner, McClintic, James, Wise & Robinson, 1968
- Dayton, Campbell & Love, 1957-1968
- Assistant Attorney General, 1956-1957
- U.S. Army, 1950-1952
Mr. McElwee continues to serve the legal, civic and academic fields with more than 55 years of legal experience.
Mr. McElwee devotes himself to extensive research of the West Virginia public schools system and writing articles for publications such as West Virginia Lawyer, The State Journal and The Charleston Gazette.
Mr. McElwee has drafted a definitive list of subjects and issues needed to be addressed in the public schools system. Before serving with the United States Army during the Korean War, Mr. McElwee worked as a teacher, thus his passion and interest in improving the school system.
Mr. McElwee earned his law degree from West Virginia University in 1955 and has practiced continuously since then.
Mr. McElwee worked for several law firms before joining six others as founding partners to form Robinson & McElwee in 1983. Mr. McElwee accepted an Of Counsel position at the firm in 1997.
As Of Counsel, Mr. McElwee practices with regard to public utility law matters. In addition, Mr. McElwee works tirelessly researching and writing about the state of the public schools system.
In his pursuit of education research, Mr. McElwee has developed support and met with leaders across the state, including superintendents, principals, teachers and labor and teacher unions. Additionally, Mr. McElwee has enlisted the support of the Department of Education and business and civic leaders.
- Representation of utilities in all phases of their regulation by state agencies.
- Serves as counsel for utilities engaged in the sale to the public of electricity, natural gas and communication services.
- Handling of regulatory matters before the Public Service Commission, including general rate cases, expanded net energy cost proceedings, complaint cases, rule-making proceedings and attempts to regulate utility practices.
- Federal trial and appellate experience.
- Extensive appellate practice before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
- Legislative work.
- Founding Member, Robison & McElwee.
- J.D., West Virginia University, 1955
- A.B., Education, Glenville State College, 1949
- Order of the Coif
- Student Editor-in-Chief of Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Kanawha County Bar Association