- Chair, Energy & Environment Department, Robinson & McElwee
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1991-present
- Associate, Robinson & McElwee, 1985-1990
Mr. Lannan’s practice is focused in the areas of energy and environmental law, including counseling with regard to a broad spectrum of environmental regulatory compliance issues, litigation and legislative matters.
Mr. Lannan has more than 26 years of experience handling environmental litigation, environmental audits and environmental compliance issues. Mr. Lannan also handles disputes related to the contamination of real property, environmental compliance, enforcement, contribution and all aspects of environmental regulatory compliance.
Mr. Lannan has experience in drafting significant environmental legislation and regulations. Mr. Lannan also represents national clients in Superfund practice, including defense of cost recovery cases, enforcement actions and administrative matters.
Additionally, Mr. Lannan serves within Robinson & McElwee’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Mr. Lannan is a mediator, fully trained by the West Virginia State Bar.
Mr. Lannan works with long-standing clients in compliance-related environmental auditing work, as well as numerous transactional matters and pre- or post-acquisition environmental due diligence matters.
Mr. Lannan handles consultations and negotiations regarding environmental issues associated with commercial transactions. During such work, Mr. Lannan represents lending institutions, as well as buyers or sellers involved with purchase or sales agreements.
In criminal defense work, Mr. Lannan practices with regard to water pollution and property contamination issues. Mr. Lannan also handles defense and prosecution of claims associated with contamination of real property.
Mr. Lannan represents both national and regional manufacturing and chemicals clients, as well as large and small commercial enterprises such as banks, lending institutions, real estate and land management companies.
Away from work, Mr. Lannan serves The Nature Conservancy of West Virginia as a Board of Trustees member.
- Environmental criminal defense.
- Performance of numerous environmental audits.
- Consultations and negotiations regarding environmental issues associated with commercial transactions.
- Defense and/or prosecution of claims associated with contamination of real property.
- Litigation counsel for private party and governmental environmental compliance, enforcement, contribution, state common law and citizen suit claims.
- Legislative work including drafting legislation, regulations, and lobbying on various environmental issues on behalf of manufacturers.
- Consultations regarding all aspects of environmental regulatory compliance.
- Environmental claims alternative dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration and allocation.
- Preparation of comments on various United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state environmental rules.
- Representation of clients nationally in a Superfund practice including defense of cost recovery cases, enforcement actions and administrative matters.
- Chair, Energy & Environment Department, Robinson & McElwee.
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, Litigation – Environmental, 2006 – Present
- J.D., West Virginia University, 1985
- M.A., Applied Theology, Wheeling Jesuit University, 2002
- B.A., History, magna cum laude, West Virginia University, 1982
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006 – Present
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- Environmental Safety and Health Committee Member, West Virginia Manufacturers Association
- State Law Advisory Committee Member, The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., Environmental Due Diligence Guide