Areas of Practice
- J.D., West Virginia University, 1988
- B.A., Economics, Old Dominion University, 1985
- U.S. Marine Corps, Honorable Discharge, 1978
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018 – Present
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia State Bar
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 2013
- Of Counsel, Robinson & McElwee, 1996 and 2006-2012
- Sole Practitioner, 1997-2005
- Associate, Robinson & McElwee, 1990-1996
- Associate, Ikner & Hewman, 1988-1990
- Research Assistant, Professor Franklin D. Cleckley, 1986
Mr. Sorrells’ practice focuses on commercial litigation and bankruptcy matters.
Mr. Sorrells is counsel to the West Virginia Association of REALTORS® and provides the “WVAR Legal Hotline” as a part of that representation.
Away from the office, Mr. Sorrells serves on the boards of Rea of Hope, Inc., and the West Virginia State Bar’s Judicial and Lawyer Assistance Program.
- Litigation of complex commercial cases in state and federal court.
- Defense of consumer credit claims
- Debtor-in-Possession Counsel in hospital, clinic and nursing home cases.
- Debtor-in-Possession Counsel in business and coal company cases.
- Representation of secured claims in bankruptcy.
- Pre-bankruptcy workout and restructuring.
- Preference and Stay Relief litigation.
- AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, Charleston – WV, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2018 – present
- Presenter, Bankruptcy Basics from a Vendor’s Perspective, American Association of Professional Landmen’s (AAPL) Appalachian Land Institute, 2016
- Presenter, West Virginia Association of REALTORS (WVAR) Leadership Academy, 2016
- Presenter, West Virginia Association of REALTORS (WVAR) Leadership Academy, 2015
- Rea of Hope, Inc., Board Member
- West Virginia State Bar’s Judicial and Lawyer Assistance Program, Board Member