Areas of Practice
- J.D., University of Chicago, 1987
- B.A., M.A., Law, Oxford University, University College, England, 1985
- B.A., Political Science, Swarthmore College, 1982 – awarded Jesse H. Holmes prize and Curtis Bok Scholarship
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 – Present
- Licensed Title Insurance Agent for Chicago Title Company
- Qualified West Virginia General Commercial Contractor License Holder
- West Virginia Master Plumber License Holder
- Patented Inventor
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers, West Virginia Real Estate and Corporate/Commercial, 2014 – 2023
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Richmond Federal Reserve Industry Council Member for West Virginia
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys (AHIA)
- West Virginia Roundtable Board of Directors
- Steering Committee Member, Construction Law Practice Group, ALFA International
- Steering Committee Member, Retail Practice Group, ALFA International
- Chief Executive Officer, 2014-present
- Managing Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1999-2014
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1993-present
- Associate, Robinson & McElwee, 1987-1993
Mr. George’s practice focuses upon commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, business litigation, arbitration and dispute resolutions and real estate transactions involving retail, industrial, resort and other commercial real estate development projects. His work in this regard includes finance, leasing, acquisition, construction, tax-free exchanges, eminent domain and land use planning.
Mr. George has been a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers for more than 20 years. He is a steering committee member for ALFA International’s Retail Practice Group and Construction Law Practice Group and is a member of the Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys (AHIA).
Mr. George has extensive experience with regard to transactional documents during all phases of the real estate development process, including conceptual planning, leasing and sales arrangements, acquisitions of property, construction contracts, road infrastructure and easements. In addition, he has experience with natural resources transactions, including oil and gas leases, as well as coal leases for energy-related companies.
Mr. George represents clients from varied industries, including retail, office and other commercial real estate developers. He represents clients of many scopes and sizes from local, small businesses to regional and national corporations.
Since 1999, Mr. George has served as Managing Member and Chief Executive Officer of Robinson & McElwee. He has received numerous accolades, including an AV peer review-rating by Martindale-Hubbell and recognition. Since 2014, the Chambers USA Guide: America’s Leading Lawyers has recognized Mr. George for his work in Real Estate and Corporate/Commercial in West Virginia.
Mr. George serves as Board of Trustees Emeritus to the University of Charleston.
- Representation in matters of real estate development, land use planning, and construction law.
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial real estate leases.
- General corporate and partnership representation, including federal, state, and local taxation and drafting of commercial documents.
- Representation of businesses in connection with loan transactions and performance issues.
- Representation involving private placements, private equity, venture capital and other forms of capital enhancement.
- Commercial litigation, arbitration and dispute resolutions, including eminent domain/condemnation, surety and construction related litigation.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Private and public financing.
- Representation in connection with natural resource transactions, including timber, coal, oil, gas and alternative energy resources.
- Representation in matters of federal and state alcohol beverage law.
- Representation of health care providers.
- Counseling businesses in cases of employee theft and embezzlement.
- Chief Executive Officer, Robinson & McElwee.
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers, West Virginia, Real Estate, and Corporate & Commercial, 2014 – Present
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Finance Law, Construction Law, Corporate Law, 2013 – Present
- Co-author, A 50 State Compendium of Hospitality and Retail Law Issues, ALFA International, West Virginia Section, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Co-author, A 50 State Compendium of Construction Law Issues, ALFA International, West Virginia Section, 2012, 2018, 2019, 2020
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Annual US/Canadian Law Conference Roundtable Leader: 2004 – 2011, 2012
- Author, State Public Construction Law Source Book, West Virginia Chapter, CCH Publishing, 2002
- The Georges: Brothers In Law, by William L. Saunders, West Virginia Executive, Volume IV, Winter 2001, Published by COMAR, Inc., Cross Lanes, W.Va.
- Member, Board of Directors, West Virginia Family Policy Council
- Member, Board of Trustees Emeritus, University of Charleston