- Senior Business Counsel, Robinson & McElwee, 2011-present
- Member, Schrader, Byrd & Companion, 2009-2011
- Associate, Schrader, Byrd & Companion, 2002-2008
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Martin J. Gaughan, First Judicial Circuit, Ohio, Brooke and Hancock Counties, W.Va., 2001-2002
- Research Editor, West Virginia Law Review, 2000-2001
- Summer Associate, Thorp Reed & Armstrong, 2000
- Legal Technician III, United States Attorney’s Office Contract Employee, 1993-2000
Ms. Schmitt is primarily involved in residential and complex commercial real estate transactions.
Ms. Schmitt has extensive experience running land and mineral title searches, as well as property acquisition, financing and development.
In addition, Ms. Schmitt has significant experience with regard to corporate transactional work, legal research and estate/probate matters.
As a licensed title agent, Ms. Schmitt prepares title commitments and insurance policies. Additionally, Ms. Schmitt conducts closings, performs foreclosures and prepares legal documents in connection with both residential and complex commercial transactions.
Ms. Schmitt represents regional and national corporations, as well as local, small businesses. Ms. Schmitt represents clients from many industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing and retail, among others.
Prior to joining Robinson & McElwee, Ms. Schmitt worked nine years as member and associate for Schrader, Byrd & Companion, PLLC, of Wheeling, W.Va.
Additionally, Ms. Schmitt is proficient in the French language with extensive exposure to and interest in other cultures and languages.
In her spare time, Ms. Schmitt serves the Kiwanis Club of Wheeling as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Handling real estate matters associated with acquisition, disposition, and development of industrial and commercial sites.
- Examination of land and mineral titles, issuance of title opinions and performance of related curative work for oil and gas, retail developments and other industries.
- Considerable experience in running land and mineral titles, conducting closings and performing foreclosures.
- Negotiation and preparation of documents in connection with the acquisition, exchange and/or sale of assets.
- General corporate, partnership and other legal entity representation, including tax matters and drafting of commercial documents.
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial leases.
- Preparation of legal instruments to effectuate estate plans, as well as experience in administering estates.
- Experience with creating, administering and handling day-to-day matters of qualified employee benefit plans under Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
- Licensed Title Agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company, First American Title Agency, and Fidelity National Title Insurance Company.
- Licensed Title Agent in both Ohio and West Virginia.
- J.D., West Virginia University, 2001
- M.B.A., Wheeling Jesuit University, 1991
- B.A., summa cum laude, Bethany College, 1987
- Diplome Semestriel de Langue et Civilisation Francaises, Universite de Paris (La Sorbonne), 1986
- First Place for Club Bulletin, 89th Convention of the West Virginia District of Kiwanis International
- President’s Award for Outstanding Service for the Year, Kiwanis Club of Wheeling, 2005-2006
- CALI “Excellence for the Future” Award in Evidence from Professor Franklin Cleckley, 2001
- Licensed Title Agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Licensed Title Agent for First American Title Agency
- Licensed Title Agent for Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
- Licensed Title Agent in both Ohio and West Virginia
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Ohio County Bar Association
- Ohio Land Title Association
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation