- Of Counsel, Robinson & McElwee, 2018
- Chair, Business Law Department, Robinson & McElwee, 2012
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1987-2017
- Associate, Robinson & McElwee, 1983-1986
- Associate, Love, Wise, Robinson & Woodroe, 1981-1983
Ms. Smith’s practice emphasizes the representation of business clients in the negotiation, due diligence, document preparation and consummation of complex commercial transactions.
Ms. Smith routinely counsels business entities as to financing matters, representing both borrowers and lenders.
Ms. Smith maintains significant experience in drafting complex documents relating to financing and corporate transactions.
Ms. Smith’s work includes the representation of borrowers in a complex, multi-state financing transaction involving a regional movie theatre chain.
Ms. Smith advises on all aspects of the Uniform Commercial Code, including the sale of goods and the creation and perfection of security interests.
Additionally, Ms. Smith counsels clients in the structuring of business transactions of many types.
Ms. Smith serves clients within the natural resources industries, including coal, oil and gas companies.
- General representation of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and other entities.
- Advises on all aspects of the Uniform Commercial Code, including the sale of goods and the creation and perfection of security interests.
- Involved in the organization, operation and dissolution of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and other entities.
- Advises on all aspects of commercial transactions.
- Representation of borrowers in multi-state financing transactions.
- Negotiation and preparation of documents in connection with the acquisition, exchange and/or sale of assets, including coal assets.
- Performance of due diligence in connection with stock and asset transactions including transactions involving the coal industry.
- Negotiation and preparation of operational agreements for coal businesses including transloading agreements, coal sales agreements, master agreements and confirmations.
- Negotiation and preparation of commercial loan documents, including loans secured by timber and related assets.
- Chair, Robinson & McElwee Business Law Department.
- Founding member of Robinson & McElwee.
- J.D., Ohio State University, 1981
- B. S., Education, Ohio State University, 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- American Bar Association