Areas of Practice
- L.L.M., George Washington University, Environmental law, 1975
- J.D., Washington and Lee University, Cum Laude, 1972
- B.S., Business Administration (Finance), West Virginia University, 1969
- Best Lawyers in America, 2021
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- West Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia State Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Senior Litigation Counsel, Robinson & McElwee PLLC, 2014-present
- Vice Chairman, Financial Services and Mortgage Litigation Practice Group, Robinson & McElwee
- Of Counsel, Mullens and Mullens PLLC, 2013-2014
- The Cochran Firm, D.C., 2002-2013
- Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll, 2000-2002
- Shuman, Annand & Poe, 1984-2000
- Cohen, Vitt & Annand, 1974-1984
- Boothe, Prichard & Dudley, 1972-1974
Mr. Annand is Senior Litigation Counsel at Robinson & McElwee, PLLC. He handles major litigation for the firm, including representing corporations and other clients in which Comprehensive General Liability and other forms of insurance coverage is involved, as well as cases involving insurance coverage issues and allegations of bad faith.
Mr. Annand has defended and prosecuted thousands of cases in a wide range of substantive fields, including: trucking and other vehicular crashes; commuter train crash litigation; product liability claims; premises liability incidents causing catastrophic injury and death; commercial and residential structure explosions; mining disasters and individual injury and death claims; construction collapses and explosions; heavy industry fires and explosions; oil and gas tort liability; environmental claims and toxic torts; pharmaceutical litigation; medical device liability; medical incident liability claims and other professional malpractice; intellectual property claims; insurance coverage and bad faith litigation; and many others.
Mr. Annand has tried well over 100 major cases to verdict before courts and juries in state and federal courts in West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. These cases have covered the gamut of the substantive fields in which Mr. Annand has been involved.
Mr. Annand is a graduate of West Virginia University, Washington & Lee School of Law and The George Washington University National Law Center. He has been engaged in the active practice of law for over 40 years and has concentrated throughout his practice in the field of litigation, with particular emphasis on tort cases and matters relating to insurance.
Mr. Annand is admitted to practice before the highest courts of West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia and all federal District Courts in those jurisdictions. Mr. Annand also is admitted to practice before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and for the District of Columbia, and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Annand has served on numerous panels and has made presentations before various professional organizations and conferences, involving many substantive issues, including insurance coverage and bad faith, product liability and medical malpractice. Mr. Annand maintains an active docket of cases and supervises others to ensure the effective representation of clients in the most efficient and cost effective manner practicable.
Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2021