Areas of Practice
- J.D., Harvard University, 1981
- B.A., English, summa cum laude, Washington and Lee University, 1978
- Best Lawyers in America, 1995 – Present
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- West Virginia State Bar
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Fellowship of Catholic Scholars
- Board of Directors Member, 2014 – 2017
- Assistant Managing Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1998-2010
- Member, Robinson & McElwee, 1987-present
- Associate, Robinson & McElwee, 1983-1986
- Associate, Love, Wise, Robinson & Woodrow, 1981-1983
Mr. Porth has practiced at Robinson and McElwee since the firm’s inception in 1983.
Mr. Porth practices administrative law before the Public Service Commission of West Virginia and the West Virginia Board of Medicine. Additionally, Mr. Porth represents public utilities before state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Mr. Porth practices within Robinson & McElwee’s Business Law Department with a focus on public utility regulation matters, constitutional law, appellate practice, business law, litigation, administrative law, commercial development and leasing, and physician defense before the West Virginia Board of Medicine.
Mr. Porth has more than 30 years of experience in constitutional and business litigation and appellate practice. Mr. Porth has submitted briefs to and/or argued before the Supreme Court of the United States, federal Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
Mr. Porth has extensive experience in negotiating, drafting and administering a broad array of contracts, leases and other agreements.
Mr. Porth represents clients in many different industries, including electric power, natural gas, hospitality, medical practices, and retail and shopping centers.
- Representation of public utilities before the Public Service Commission (PSC) of West Virginia, state and federal trial and appellate courts.
- Appellate practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, federal Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
- Constitutional litigation, including challenges to state and federal laws regulating elections, charities, taxation, discrimination claims and right-to-life and end-of-life issues.
- Business litigation, including class actions, mineral titles, toxic torts, contract disputes and condemnation.
- Coal asset purchase and sale transactions and coal supply and transportation transactions.
- Defense of fuel supply transactions, including long-term coal contracts, spot purchases and coal hedging.
- Construction, contract, loan document and lease negotiation, drafting and administration.
- Shopping center financing, development and leasing.
- Representation of physicians in complaint and license proceedings before the West Virginia Board of Medicine.
- Robinson & McElwee Board of Directors Member, 2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 1995 – Present
- Co-author, Charles R. McElwee and William C. Porth: Is health mandate legal?, Charleston Gazette, July 30, 2011 http://wvgazette.com/Opinion/OpEdCommentaries/201107291637?page=2&build=cache(link is external)
- Co-author, Justice, Law Should Prevail In ObamaCare Debate, State Journal, April 13, 2011 http://www.statejournal.com/Global/story.asp?S=15781617(link is external)
- Co-author, Charles McElwee and William Porth: Health care and the law, Charleston Gazette, April 2, 2011 http://wvgazette.com/Opinion/OpEdCommentaries/201104011344(link is external)
- Co-author, Trimming the Ivy: A Bicentennial Re-examination of the Establishment Clause, West Virginia Law Review, Volume 90, Number 1, Fall 1987