Areas of Practice
Bar & Court Admissions
Ohio Bar Association
Stark County Bar Association
Ohio Oil & Gas Association
Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Associate, Geiger Teeple Robinson & McElwee, 2013 – present
- Associate, Geiger Teeple Smith and Hahn, 2006 – 2013
Mr. Brent A. Barnes has been providing exceptional legal counsel to individuals and businesses throughout the greater Alliance area since 2006. Mr. Barnes is a native of Alliance and graduated from Alliance High School in 1999. He attended the University of Mount Union where he earned a BA with degrees in Business Finance and Political Science in 2003.
While at Mount Union he was a member of the Pre-Law Society and Investment Team. Mr. Barnes was also an intern with Smith Barney in Cleveland, Ohio where he worked in the wealth management division.
After college, Mr. Barnes attended Creighton University- School of Law, in Omaha Nebraska, where he earned his Juris Doctor. While in law school, he was the president/co-founder of the student chapter of the American Constitutional Society and was a member of the International Moot Court team. He also completed an internship with the Iowa Public Defender’s Office in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Mr. Barnes was admitted to the Ohio State Bar in November 2006 and joined Geiger Teeple as an associate in 2006. His practice is concentrated in general litigation, business law, and oil and gas law. He has been a member of the Ohio and Stark County Bar Associations since 2006. Mr. Barnes currently serves on the Grievance Committee for the Stark County Bar Association. Mr. Barnes is also a member of the Ohio Oil & Gas Association and the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF).
Mr. Barnes is an active member of the Alliance community. He currently serves as the Legal Advisor for the Greater Alliance Carnation Festival Board. Mr. Barnes has served on the executive boards of several non-profit organizations including the Alliance Area Domestic Violence Shelter, the Alliance Neighborhood Center, and the Greater Alliance Carnation Festival.
Mr. Barnes currently resides in Alliance with his wife and their three children.
- Civil litigation primarily involving corporate clients, including commercial disputes, breach of contract claims, and real estate litigation.
- Oil and gas litigation
- Seismic acquisition, including co-lead counsel on a 409 square mile seismic project.
- Real estate litigation, including easements, covenants and boundary disputes.
- Business planning and formation.
- Presenter, Current Issues in Labor and Employment, Geiger Teeple Robinson & McElwee, Canton, O.H., 2014
- Executive Board Member, Alliance Area Domestic Violence Shelter, 2007-2013 (Past President)
- Executive Board Member, Alliance Neighborhood Center, 2007-2013.
- Legal Advisor, Greater Alliance Carnation Festival, 2007-2014.
- Volunteer for University of Mount Union Trial Team.
- Member of the Benevolent & Protective Order Elks #467